Friday 30 July 2010

ARTIST'S SPOTLIGHT: Garry Milne


Artist and illustrator, Garry Milne, fuses his love of street art and skate boarding, as well as his appreciation of Alphonse Mucha, to create contemporary artworks with timeless appeal. Lark Rising recently caught up with him to discuss his inspirations and technique.

LR: What clients do you work for?

Garry: I've been lucky, I’ve worked with: Fabric Live, Nike, Mika, Lark Rising, Cutty Sark Whiskey, Channel 4, Dephect Clothing, Motive skateboards, Draft FCB and various magazines.

LR: What inspires you?

Garry: I get really inspired by looking at books and other artworks. It makes me want to step up and make something of my own. Also skateboarding. It's been my life since I was young. I think it makes you see things in a different light.

LR: Do you admire any particular artists or designers?

Garry: I like a number of graffiti and street artists especially those involved with the 'Beautiful Losers' scene. Also the artist Alphonse Mucha. There's too many really.

LR: When were you last really affected by someone else's art?

Garry: I'm not a dedicated follower of the mainstream contemporary art world but Damien Hirst's 'For the love of god' piece is beautiful. I can't stop looking at it, the execution is unbelievable.

LR: Your work is combination of hand painting and digital manipulation. What is it about these techniques that appeals to you?

Garry: Well the digital side is really for convenience. I'd love to produce more paintings but it's been hard to find the time at the moment. Also working with the computer allows you to edit and change things as you go along. I always start with drawings which are cleaned and coloured on the mac.

LR: What's on your iPod while you're working?

Garry: Anything and everything really. The closer the deadline – the faster the tempo!

PART OF A SERIES OF ILLUSTRATIONS PRODUCED FOR FABRIC LIVE.

SCREEN PRINT BASED ON THE BAZ LUHRMAN RE-MAKE OF ROMEO & JULIET, 
 FOR THE BOXBIRD GALLERY EXHIBITION 'CINEMASCOPE', MAY 2009.

http://www.garrymilne.co.uk/
mail@garrymilne.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment